Reading skills (lecturers)
Teaching resources to help you to develop your students' skills. You can adapt these materials to suit your own needs; see the link below for more details about acknowledging Skills@Library.Using our resources
The Note taking and note making workshop introduces students to different methods of note taking, and how to be an efficient note taker.
Our Reading faster, reading more workshop looks at practical techniques students can adopt to increase their reading speed.
As well as the slides from these sessions we have also included a lesson plan and various other handouts.
This activity is designed to develop students' awareness of the different types of reading strategies, their purpose and examples. We have also provided teaching notes to give you an idea of what to expect your students to take from completing this.
Reading skills tutorial
This tutorial is designed to help students identify strengths and weaknesses through a range of interactive activities. On completion of the tutorial students are directed to further resources within the Reading skills student page.
Reading with understanding e-workshop
This resource is based on our Reading with Understanding workshop, featuring video clips from the workshop and various interactive activities.Reading skills student page.
- Allen, K. L. 2005. Study skills: a student survival guide. Wiley: Chichester.
- Reynolds, M.C. 2002. Reading for Understanding. Wadsworth: California.
- Cottrell, S. 2008 The study skills handbook. Palgrave: Hampshire.
- Roberts, J. M. 2004. Effective study skills, Pearson: USA
- Fairbairn, G. 2001. Reading at university: A guide for students. Open University Press: Maidenhead.
Websites and online resources
- The Open University: Reading and note taking
- Using English for Academic Purposes: Reading skills for academic study
- LearnHigher Reading tutor resource
A resource to help educators develop and deliver student workshops on academic reading. The multi-media resource includes suggested workshop content, ice-breakers, activities, and FAQs.