Leeds University Library

Health Sciences Library

Health Sciences Library study area

Although the Health Sciences Library is the most recent of the Library buildings, it has the earliest origins of all.

The Leeds Infirmary Library was founded in 1786 under the influence of the surgeon William Hey and other "principal medical men of the town". Their subscription fees of half a guinea a year were used to buy medical books, disseminating the latest knowledge to the local region.

In 1865 this library was presented to the Leeds School of Medicine, which later became part of the University. Held in the Old Medical School for decades and expanding over time, in 1977 the Medical and Dental Library, as it had become, moved into modern premises at its current location in the Worsley Building.


Students sat around a table in teh Health Sciences Library

Extended in 1998 and refurbished in 2008 with the generous support of the Wolfson Foundation, the current Health Sciences Library provides staff and students with up-to-date study facilities, IT access, and flexible teaching rooms. It attracts a large number of users, both from the University and the NHS, to study in its light, contemporary surroundings.