Who can use the Library
The Holden Library is the working library for clergy. The extensive collection includes books on all matters of religion from the year 1522 to the present. Holden members can also borrow items from other parts of the University Library.
Who can join the Library
The following are eligible to join the Library:
- Clergy licensed in the Anglican dioceses of West Yorkshire and the Dales
- Clergy of the Roman Catholic diocese of Leeds
- Ministers of the Methodist Church (Leeds District and West Yorkshire District)
- Ministers of any other Christian diocese/denomination which applies for membership and contributes the annual subscription
- Candidates for ordination in any of the above-mentioned denominations
Register to use the Library
You need to register online before visiting. On your first visit please go to any Library reception desk during core hours and bring the following:
- some photo ID
- a letter on headed paper from a recognised member of the clergy (such as your minister or bishop) that states your position in the church
What you can access
You can borrow up to 10 items from the University Library, including the Holden collection.
You may also have access to e-resources from guest PCs within the library buildings.
If you cannot visit the libraries in person, you can request a postal loan for books or an electronic version of journal articles we subscribe to. Please email the Document Supply team to arrange this.