Planning is an important part of the essay writing process. We recommend that you create an essay plan before your start writing.
An essay plan will help you to:
- define and organise your argument before tackling your first draft
- produce a clear, coherent and well-structured essay
- know where you want your argument to start and end
- stick to the main points that you want to make.
Identify your main ideas
Your essays should not be a patchwork of other people's ideas or a set of facts and quotes. You need to critically analyse what you are reading and bring together the information to help you to develop your own arguments, ideas and opinions.
Consider the following:
- What key points do you want to make?
- Can you support your points with evidence such as data, facts, research conducted by experts on that topic?
- Have you considered different viewpoints and perspectives?
- How will you make sure that the structure is logical and coherent?