Output styles determine how the citations and reference list in your document will look. If you are using EndNote on your own computer, you will need to download the appropriate EndNote output style and save it.
The process for saving and editing these styles is different depending on the permissions you have.
The LeedsUni styles
At the University of Leeds, most students are expected to use one of two styles: Leeds Harvard or Leeds Numeric. We have made EndNote output style files available for these, as well as a Leeds version of the MHRA style (which was created to fix some issues with the MHRA style provided by EndNote).
Download these styles below:
Saving output styles on your own laptop or computer
If you are using EndNote on your own laptop or computer then you will need to download the appropriate style and save it to the folder that contains all of EndNote's other output styles.
This styles folder is likely to be on your C drive. Look under "Program Files", open the "EndNote" folder and choose to save in the "Styles" folder. If you have an Apple device, look under “Applications” instead of “Program files” for the EndNote folder and then the Styles folder.
Once downloaded and saved, the style should be an option when you reformat your bibliography. Go to the EndNote tab in Word and use the Style drop-down menu to select your new style. You may need to choose “Select Another Style…” to be able to find the new style in the list of all available styles.
Saving output styles on your University desktop
If you are using EndNote off-campus using the Virtual Windows Desktop, or a University computer to which you don’t have administrator rights, then you should:
- Create a new folder on your computer where you do have permissions to save. Call the new folder "Styles".
- Download and save the style to the folder.
- Open EndNote and choose "Edit", then "Preferences" from the menu.
- In the new window, click on "Folder locations".
- A box called "Style folder" will appear
- In the “Style Folder” section, choose "Select folder". Navigate to and select the "Styles" folder you created in step 1. Click “OK”.
- The style should now be one of the options in the Style drop-down menu on the EndNote toolbar in Word.
Editing output styles
If none of EndNote's styles exactly match the one you want to use, there are instructions for editing an output style in the “Bibliographic Styles” chapter of the EndNote X9 manual (PDF) (this is a large file and may take some time to download). This manual is for a previous version of EndNote but the process is very similar.