Making a proposal
Points to consider in addition to the general guidance when making an exhibition proposal for the Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery:
- Does the exhibition use or make reference to items in the University Art Collection and/or Library Special Collections?
- Has the exhibition been designed in a way that will attract our target audiences (especially students)?
- Is there a possibility to tour this exhibition to other venues?
- Does the exhibition have the potential to attract new audiences?
- Has the interpretation for the exhibition been planned to cater for visitors with a range of learning styles and learning abilities?
- Will the exhibition support local and regional tourism strategies?
- Does the exhibition encourage lifelong learning?
- How will objects be displayed? Would additional display units be required, and if so how would they be funded?
- Does the programme encourage partnership and involvement from other universities, museums, cultural organisations or community groups?
- Does the programme complement the exhibition programmes of other cultural organisations in Leeds and the surrounding area? For example, The Treasures of the Brotherton Gallery, ULITA, M&S Company Archive, Leeds City Museum, Leeds Art Gallery, The Henry Moore Institute, The Tetley, etc. Are there any conflicts?
Spaces available and exhibition changing times
The Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery programmes three exhibitions per year in the Exhibition Room. These normally run from November to February and March to July, with the annual FUAM Graduate Art Prize from August to October.
The internal exhibition walls in the Exhibition Room are adjustable for different configurations of the space.
Additionally, the gallery programmes smaller displays in its Education Room. Education Room displays should include a minimum of 50% material from the University Art Collection and/or Library Special Collections.
The Education Room cases are not adjustable. Items may not be displayed in the middle of the room because it is used as a teaching and activity space.
Changeovers take place over 2 weeks for the Exhibition Room or 1 week for Education Room displays, during which time the spaces in question will be closed to the public.
Please refer to the plan of the Exhibition Room (PDF) to ensure that the proposed exhibition material is appropriate for the space available.