Looking at materials
All material is reference only, to be consulted in our reading room. You can view up to three items at a time.
Handling books and manuscripts
The material in Special Collections is valuable and unique. We ask that you:
- Handle the material with clean hands (no hand lotions) and minimise handling where possible
- Do not consume food or drink in Special Collections (there are many refreshment areas on campus)
- Use a pencil for note-taking as accidents with ink can cause permanent damage
- Use the foam book supports and weights
- Keep loose documents in their original order and handle one at a time (please ask before you remove an item from its sequence for copying)
- Close books when you are not using them (acid-free bookmarks are available from staff)
- Do not lean on books or manuscripts or rest objects on them (please ask for permission before tracing anything)
- Do not mark, annotate or deface the materials
- Tell us about any accidents or damage.
Not all material listed in the catalogue is available to view. There are a number of restrictions that may apply.