What’s changed? A lot’s changed…
More books, auto-renewals, hot water on tap, Brotherton facelift and other changes over summer 2019.
Our new library system has driven a lot of improvements to how you use the Library:
- All staff and students can now borrow 50 books at a time.
- Automatic renewals — we renew the items you have on loan every day, so your due dates will always be in 7 days’ time. This means you can keep items as long as you need or until someone else requests it.
- Request it or you’ll never see it — if an item is on loan, you need to request it through Library Search. If you don’t, it won’t be returned as the borrower can keep it for as long as they want.
- We’ve put you in control of Library Search — focus your search using the options on the homepage or go ahead and search, then refine your results.
- One-click access to journal articles — you can now download PDFs straight from the search results
Library Quickstart demonstrates how to use the new system.
You said, we did
We’ve taken time over the summer to act on user feedback.
Changes to the study spaces in the Brotherton’s West Building are underway — this will unlock the potential of this space with a comfortable and modern approach to the study area. The West Building will reopen on Monday with the bulk of the new furniture in place, with the remainder following on soon.
Want to know how to get the most out of our libraries? Just ask!
We're holding drop-ins at the Laidlaw, Edward Boyle and Health Sciences Library 10am–12pm and 2–4pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Pop in and chat to us, whether you’re a fresher or returning student, no question is too daft.
Academic skills support for everyone
Whatever year of study you’re in, there is a Skills@Library resource that can help you.
For new students, Flying Start can help you prepare for studying in a university environment.
Second Year Success will support your development as things start to get more serious.
If you’re embarking on your final year, The Final Chapter will prove indispensable to completing your final research project.
This year, we’re adding a brand new resource, Step Up to Masters, to help with making the leap to postgraduate study.
Our ongoing programme of skills workshops cover a range of disciplines, from essay writing to avoiding procrastination, and all sorts in-between. Sign up for a workshop today.
Maths and statistics support
There is now a dedicated statistics tutor as part of the maths support programme. Group and one-to-one sessions are available with experienced tutors across a wide range of maths disciplines. Perfect for those who need a little boost in maths or those embarking on their research project.
Join the Library Advisory Panel
We’re always listening and looking at ways we can change and improve. We changed our drinks policy to include all drinks with lids, we’ve improved our accessible study areas, and installed a hot water dispenser at the Edward Boyle Library — all in response to user feedback.
Getting involved with the advisory panel gives you the opportunity to help shape the way we do things — and there are rewards!
Follow us at @UoLLibrary for essential news, events and study tips throughout the year.