The Treasures of the Brotherton Gallery and the Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery at the University of Leeds house a permanent display of some of the finest and most distinctive items in the care of the University Library and University Art Collection. There are also a number of changing, temporary exhibitions each year.
The Treasures of the Brotherton Gallery has two temporary exhibitions per year. These focus on material in Special Collections at the University of Leeds.
The Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery has three temporary exhibitions per year in the Exhibition Room. These exhibitions focus on the University Art Collection or related themes, as well as giving opportunities to local artists, especially with a connection to the University of Leeds.
The Stanley & Audrey Burton Gallery also has between five to seven smaller displays per year in the Education Room. These displays focus on material from both the University Art Collection and Special Collections.
The aims of the Galleries’ temporary exhibition programme are to:
- aid discovery and understanding of the rare and unique items kept in Special Collections and the University Art Collection
- promote knowledge of and access to Special Collections and the Art Collection at the university
- exhibit items that will appeal both to the Galleries’ target audiences and to new audiences
- create opportunities for individuals from a wide range of backgrounds to engage with our collections
- use the collections to generate distinctive narratives that will encourage repeat visits
- create opportunities for participative experiences through a programme of workshops, talks and activities related to each temporary exhibition
- offer professional development opportunities, especially to students at the University of Leeds
- enrich the cultural lives of members of the local community
- enhance the cultural offer of the city of Leeds and the region thereby supporting the economic development of the area.
If you would like to propose an idea for a temporary exhibition please refer to our guidance for proposing a temporary exhibition in the first instance.
It will not be possible to display items from other collections at the Treasures of the Brotherton Gallery except in exceptional circumstances.
Proposals that do not meet the above criteria are unlikely to be successful.