Researching family and local history
We have several collections which may contain useful information for family and local history research. These are:
- The University Archive the institutional records of the University of Leeds. This holds information on former students and staff at the University.
- The Leeds General Cemetery Company Archive includes Burial Registers containing information on all people buried in the Cemetery (now known as St George's Fields).
- The Liddle Collection the personal papers of well over 4,000 people who lived through the First World War, and approximately 500 who experienced the Second World War.
- The Quaker Collections records of the Carlton Hill (covering Leeds, Bradford, Settle and Knaresborough) and Clifford Street (covering York and Thirsk) Meetings, but also includes records for Yorkshire as a whole.
- The Brotherton Collection, Yorkshire a large collections of printed material documenting Yorkshire history.
- The Whittaker Collection contains historic maps, atlases, road books and travel guides, many concerning Yorkshire.
Everyone is welcome to use Special Collections. See visitor information for details of our procedures and opening hours.