Secure electronic delivery
You will receive an email containing the link to your document and instructions for opening it.
To open the document your PC must have fileOpen software - this is already installed on all the University cluster PCs including those in the Libraries.
Departmental IT reps or ISS should be able to help with installing the software on University managed PCs.
Your computer will also need to have Adobe Reader (version 4 or later). This is already installed on all University PCs.
If you need staff help to open the document, ask at an enquiry desk in the Library.
To comply with copyright legislation, there is a specific process for electronic delivery of documents:
- When the British Library send the link to the document it is available for 30 days only.
- Once the link has been activated the document will remain accessible for 14 days only.
- The document can be viewed more than once, but only from the same computer. Therefore if you intend to print the item, make sure you can print from that machine before opening it.
- You cannot save the document and it can only be printed once.
- Best practice is to print the document as soon as you activate the link.
There is a test document on the British Library website. Download it first to make sure you will be able to access your requested documents.
There is further information on downloading your documents on the British Library website.