Copyright University of Leeds
The Winchester cabinet is a collection of over 3000 coins, medals and tokens. It was compiled by William Eyre who was an eighteenth-century sergeant-at-arms, an order of barristers that worked in the common-law courts. Eyre bequeathed the collection to Winchester Cathedral on his death in 1764 and it remained virtually untouched until it was purchased in 1954 by the University of Leeds.
The collection contains coins from the classical period to the mid-1700s, with one or two later editions. There is a strong focus on Greek and Roman, but included are British coins from the Iron Age to the eighteenth century, trade tokens, siege pieces and numerous medals. This online exhibition contains a selection of William Eyre’s coins to give an insight into the variety and quality of the collection.