The Advanced Search allows you to design searches that retrieve more focused results.
Use the Advanced Search to select search fields and incorporate Boolean operators (AND, OR and NOT) between search terms in your queries. Apply filters before executing a search to further refine your query and limit the search results returned.
The Add a row link supports the addition of up to 16 rows (20 rows total, including the four displayed by default).
Fields in Advanced Search
Select the arrow in the box saying "All Fields" to see which fields are searchable via the Advanced Search
The Basic options are the ones most commonly used:
- All Fields (excludes Volume)
- Author (includes Author & Corporate Author)
- Title (includes Title, Subtitle, and Document Title Alternate)
- Publication Title
- Subject terms
Filtered and excluded results in advanced search
You can apply filters before executing a search to refine or expand your query:
- Dates published from and to: Use these fields to limit publication date to a specified range. Clicking on a field displays a calendar where you can select either a year, a month and year, or a day, month, and year. Alternatively you can enter your own dates.
- Content, discipline and language: select from the lists as appropriate. These filters are the same as for the basic search results.
- Show only: Use these checkboxes to limit result to full text online, scholarly materials, peer reviewed materials, or only items in the Library Catalogue
- Exclude these results: Use these checkboxes to exclude newspaper articles, book reviews, or dissertations.
- Expand your results: only tick this box if you want to expand your search to include items we may not have a subscription to