You can search for clinical trials and systematic reviews using databases and websites.
Search the PROSPERO register for prospectively registered systematic reviews in health and social care.
Search the Cochrane Library for systematic reviews and clinical trials. The Cochrane Library is a collection of databases to inform healthcare decision-making. Use the Cochrane Library workbook (PDF) to learn how to use subject heading and keywords effectively to improve search results.
If you have been searching for references in other databases like Medline, you may be able to limit your results to only those that are systematic reviews or clinical trials. Try using search filters or the advanced search options.
Search the web for clinical trials
Search for clinical trials online using:
- Current Controlled Trials: multinational trials from ISRCTN.org, mRCT, and UK Clinical Trials Gateway
- ClinicalTrials.gov: multinational trials
- NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio: UK trials
- WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform (ICTRP): trials registered from Australia & New Zealand, China, Germany, India, Iran, Japan, Netherlands, Sri Lanka and ISRCTN.org
- Trials Central: USA trials
- EMEA - European Medicines Agency
- CenterWatch: mainly USA trials
- National Cancer Institute: multinational trials
- IAVI Database of AIDS Vaccine Candidates in Human Trials
These services also provide further information about each trial.
Check pharmaceutical registers
You can also check pharmaceutical registers such as: