Statistics and data sources
We recommend you check the following sources for health statistics:
- British Heart Foundation statistics: comprehensive and up-to-date source of statistics on the burden, prevention, treatment and causes of heart disease in the UK.
- Compendium of population health indicators: information on health outcomes generated by NCHOD. It includes comparative data for 700 health and local government organisations in England plus advice on how to measure health and the impact of health care.
- Department of Health and Social Care statistics: Department of Health statistical reports. It gives an outline of the format, cost (if any) and the different classes of information published in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act.
- UK Data Service: Health: a comprehensive collection of health data, with topics including the experience of illness, child development, access to care, lifestyle behaviour, subjective physical and mental well-being, diet and nutrition, immunisation programmes, attitudes towards health service provision.
- European Commission public health information and data: information data collection with links to the statistics themselves (eg health status, determinants of health, health interventions etc).
- Health Profiles: overview of health information for each local authority in England. Health Profiles are produced annually by the Public Health Observatories in England working in partnership and are commissioned by the Department of Health and Social Care.
- Health Survey for England: a series of annual surveys beginning in 1991. The series is part of an overall programme of surveys commissioned by the Department of Health and Social Care and designed to provide regular information on various aspects of the nation's health.
- HESonline (Hospital Episode Statistics): HES is the data source for a wide range of healthcare analysis for the NHS, government and many other organisations and individuals. The website provides information about HES and the service it offers.
- NHS Digital: a special health authority that collects and analyses data to provide statistics and other information to help the NHS and social services run effectively.
- Global Health Observatory: find statistics from WHO, the OECD, Eurostat and ECHI.
- National Center for Health Statistics (US): access to data and reports relating to the health status of the US population, as well as information about NCHS (part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). Covers factors including lifestyle, illness, disability, and use of health services.
- National statistics online: Health and social care: access to statistical information including NHS services, General Practice, patient care and child health. A wealth of statistical information is provided under detailed headings in the health, care and quality of life fields.
- NHS Cancer Information Services: Cancer Dataset
- Nuffield Trust: NHS in numbers – easy to read charts on NHS statistics.
- Public Health Observatories: information, data and intelligence on health and health care for practitioners, policy makers and the wider community.
- World Health Organization: data and statistics