The first medieval manuscript acquired by the Library in 1925 was Le Manuel des péchés, an Anglo-Norman didactic verse treatise (MS 1). It was presented by a group of local benefactors, one of whom was Lord Brotherton.
Only three other medieval manuscripts in this series contain decoration - all relatively modest. These are:
- a late 15th century book of hours made for use in the diocese of Autun (MS 498)
- a 14th century Legenda aurea made in the Low Countries (MS 122)
- an early 16th century Evangelistarium or Gospel lectionary made for the Benedictine abbey of St Sixtus, Piacenza (MS 124)