We charge fines if you do not return requested or high-demand items by the due date. You will accumulate fines until you return the item.
Fines are charged for:
- overdue 4-hour or 1-day loans
- overdue items that have been requested by another customer
We don’t charge fines for overdue standard loan items as long as another customer hasn’t requested them. However, you might not be able to borrow anything else until overdue items have been renewed or returned.
How much are the fines?
The following fine charges apply:
- Requested items: £2.50 per day
- 1-day loan: £1 per day
- 4-hour loan: £1 for the first hour, and 50p for every subsequent hour or part of an hour
If you owe more than £30.00 (undergraduates and external borrowers) or £50.00 (staff and postgraduates) in fines, you will not be able to borrow any more items or renew those already checked out to you.
If you have not returned the item after several reminders, we will invoice you for the cost of replacing it in addition to any fines. If you then return the item you will not have to pay the replacement charge.
Ways to pay your fines
You can pay your fines:
- Online: log in to our secure online payment service. You can pay by credit and debit card.
- By phone: call 0113 343 5663 during core hours. You can pay by credit or debit card.
- By post: send a cheque payable to “University of Leeds”. Please write your full name and library barcode number on the back of the cheque.
- In person: pay at any Library enquiry desk (apart from St James's). You can pay by cheque and with most major credit/debit cards excluding American Express, or in cash at the Laidlaw Library.
There is no minimum amount you can pay unless you want to pay by cheque in person, in which case there is a minimum charge of £5.
Prevent items becoming overdue
Prevent items becoming overdue by regularly checking your Library record. You can also check your record on Minerva, or on the Leeds Uni App. If you think there is a mistake on your record, contact us as soon as possible.
When an item becomes overdue we will email your University account. If you do not return or renew the item we will continue to email you every few days.