Leeds University Library
Our website is changing

The Library website is changing. Our new website will go live at the start of semester 2.

TV broadcasts

You may be able to copy material from TV broadcasts for use in teaching using the Educational Recording Agency Licence (ERA+ Licence). It allows recordings to be made and kept from TV and radio channels operated by the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, and S4C, including digital channels under certain restrictions. For further information on the restrictions see the ERA+ Licence page.

You can also use Box of Broadcasts (aka BoB, aka BoBNational), a subscription service operated by the British Universities Film and Video Council (BUFVC).

Members of the University can use the BoB online pre-booking feature to record programmes due to be broadcast on UK terrestrial and Freeview channels.

Programmes broadcast up to seven days previously can also be viewed.

Using Box of Broadcasts

Go to the Box of Broadcasts site. To log in, type "University of Leeds" into the login box and enter your ISS username and password when prompted.

The "Record", "Search", and "My BoB" areas allow you to select programmes for recording, view your programmes and those recorded by others for the BoB archive, and manage your BoB settings.

Please be aware the University currently has a trial subscription to BoB, and the BoB service may not be available indefinitely.

Open University programmes are not covered by the ERA+ Licence.
There is more information on using OU programmes on the Other licences page.

Films shown on TV

Films are copyright to the main creators (director, author of screenplay, author of dialogue, composer); the film soundtrack will have different rights-owner(s). Films may be recorded from broadcast TV under the ERA+ Licence, or from other free-to-air channels for educational use, but not from encrypted television channels that are available only to subscribers.