You can split your references into categories, for example, to show primary sources in a separate list from secondary sources.
Watch our video on categorising your bibliography to learn more:
To categorise your references:
- Open your Microsoft Word document with the citations already inserted into it.
- Click “Categorise References” button on the EndNote toolbar and then click on “Configure Categories”.
A window appears showing you the list of the references in the document. On the left-hand side you will see the category headings.
- Right click on any of the category headings to rename them
- Click on the + button beside “Category Headings” on the top left-hand side to add extra categories.
- Click on “All References” in Bibliography to see your references.
- Click and drag each reference to the correct category.
- Click “OK” to see your reference list.
Your references will appear in the sections you put them in.
Any reference not assigned a category will appear at the bottom of the bibliography under the heading “Uncategorised References”
To give them a category, go back to the “Categorise References” list and place them in a category.
You can re-name a category, delete a category, or move references between categories.