Microsoft Word and EndNote
Merging Word documents
You can merge separate Word documents, eg separate chapters of a thesis, and combine them all into one document with the reference list at the end.
To combine separate Word documents into one document with the reference list at the end, follow these steps:
- Open the Word documents you want to merge.
- Open your EndNote library.
- Open a new blank document. This will be where you will create your final merged document.
- In the EndNote tab in your Word document, check that the Instant formatting button says “Instant formatting is off”.
- In the first Word document go to the “Citations and Bibliography” dropdown menu.
- Choose “Convert to Unformatted Citations” option.
- Select all the text in your document (a keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-A).
- Copy and paste the text into the blank document.
- Repeat this process with the other Word documents.
- When you have finished you can generate the reference list for your new document by clicking on “Update Citations and Bibliography”.
The reference list will appear at the end of the document and will include all the references from each document that was copied.